Friday, August 19, 2011

Bambina has arrived!

August 2, 2011

Halyn Eve Skinner: 8 lbs 4 oz, 21 inches, born at 9:23am

An ultrasound late in my pregnancy showed that Halyn was not in the head down position, instead she was closer to the breech position. So we knew in advance that we would likely have a c-section if she did not turn. Jason and I went in for our c-section the morning of August 2nd (at 39 weeks pregnant). We left early to drop the dogs off at my Mom's house and got checked in to the hospital at 6am. I was not in active labor, although I was quite a bit dilated. When I think of delivering a baby, I imagine rushing to the hospital in a panic after your water breaks. It was so different having a c-section and being so organized about having our baby. I never felt one contraction, not even a braxton hicks contraction.

Jason was able to be with me almost the whole time. After I was prepared for surgery, the nurse brought him back in so he could be there for the c-section. I thought I would be nervous but I was actually pretty calm. (Turns out I was more nervous to have my staples removed at the docs office the following week then to do the actual surgery haha). I was wide awake the whole time and Jason actually video taped the surgery. I am so glad we did! One of the nurses in the operating room mentioned that we should definitely video tape it and take pictures. Strangely enough, several people have watched it. Who knew so many friends and family would end up seeing my uterus. Since I couldn't see what was going on, the anesthesiologist (and Jason) told me step by step what our doctor was doing and made me feel so comfortable. It took less than 10 minutes until Halyn entered the world. Her weight was 8 lbs 4 oz and 21 inches, which is the exact same weight and length I was when I was born. She was placed in my arms in the stretcher with me and opened her eyes. There are no words to describe the moment we saw her for the first time. It truly is love at first sight.





After checking in at the hospital



So excited!



Our first family photo




No comments: